Sunday, January 4, 2015

Introduction

Since this is my FIRST ever blog post I thought I would tell you a little about myself and a little bit about my journey. So let's get started...

Hello my name is Sara. I am a wife to a wonderful, supportive man I shall refer to as Techie. I have a funny, sweet toddler who keeps me on my toes. I have 2 corgis and 4 chickens. No we don't live on a farm but in the city limits. I love to knit and garden and ride horses. Obviously, in case you didn't figure it out from my title, I am a triathlete. I may not be fast, I don't know tons, and don't have all the fanciest gear but I get the job done and have fun. I am just an ordinary girl tri-ing to get in shape while doing something I love.


I got involved in the sport of triathlon in 2013 when I was looking for a change of pace from just running. My BRF (best running friend), we will call her Hot Rod Red, decided to do a sprint tri and really had to twist my arm to join her. Ok, there was no twisting as I am always up for a challenge unless it's jumping out of an airplane or handling snakes and then HELLZ NO! While Hot Rod Red didn't do anymore that year due to other obligations I did 2 more because I was addicted.


In 2014 Hot Rod and I decided to do an international distance triathlon-White Lake. This brought on new challenges like open water swims and longer training days. So we trained all summer and did a few more tris before tackling the international distance. It was hot as the deepest depths of Hell on race day but I completed that race. Every thing except maybe the swim and crossing the finish line sucked arse (that's ass for those who don't speak Sara). I was uncomfortable the whole time on the bike which had never happened and it being soul sucking hot, running down asphalt with no shade was like a kick in the face-not pleasant unless you like that sort of thing!

I followed White Lake up with the Tuna Run 200, a 2 day relay that begins in my hometown and takes you 200 plus miles to the beach with 12 of your closest friends. Next up was to run my 3rd full marathon, the Richmond Anthem. However, due to a stress fracture and a bad case of plantar fasciitis I had to defer till the next year.

The coolest thing that happened though was being named to the Swim Bike Mom Ambassador Team. For those that don't know what that is, Swim Bike Mom aka Meredith Atwood is a hero among triathlon loving moms and women. Her motto, "just keep moving forward", has inspired people all over and of all abilities to put one foot in front of the other and just go. She has quite the "army" and I am so proud she picked little ole me to represent her brand and her mission. You can check her out at www.swimbikemom.com 

So, that brings us up to present day and where the real journey begins.  I plan on doing my first ever 70.3 triathlon, Beach to Battleship or B2B. It's for me what us triathletes call our "A" race or our BIG race, the big dance, the big show, you get the point. I think I threw up a little in my mouth when I hit that register button. I never dreamed I would make my body go 70.3 miles in one day. A breakdown on the distance, 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike ride, and a 13.1 mile run. Something may be a little wrong with me in my head! No really, I think something is wrong with me although most triathletes will tell you this about themselves. So this blog is to share my training and other ramblings and believe me there will be other ramblings.

4 comments:

  1. Love it! Hot Rod approves, but then I might also be a little teched in the head! Welcome to blogging, BRF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! My first comment. If you are a little teched in the head what the hell does that make me?

      Delete
  2. great post! I'm so happy to be on this team with you! Can't wait to follow your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheri! All you ladies with your wonderful blogs inspired me to start my own. Cheers to 2015!

      Delete