Monday, April 6, 2015

I Might Be A Swimmer

I will be the first to say that I really do not like swimming (well maybe). There is usually one aspect of triathlon that every individual does not like. Some hate the run, some hate the bike, and like myself some hate the swim.

I grew up at the beach so I know enough about swimming not to drown and things like open water swims do not scare me. Actually, the idea of a snake slithering up next to me in a lake scares me but drowning or waves or getting swam over does not. Yes, I make no sense. I have irrational fears what can I say? Anyway, back to the point, I did not swim on a swim team so lets just say my technique was not the greatest nor the most efficient.
Someone needs some vitamin D!

My first 2 years of triathlon I just struggled through. I was not fast (still not) but I got the job done. Thank the lord the swim is the shortest part of any triathlon. I did take swim lessons from my former coach last year and that helped a lot with my form. I still feel like a frenzied whale when I swim but that's my own self conscience mind at work. It doesn't matter how many people tell me I am a good swimmer, I will never believe them. I know, I am ridiculous!

That's me with my arm barely out of the water.
Anyway, since I have not been running due to my plantar fasciitis my awesomesauce coach has me in the pool a lot more. My times are slowly but surely getting faster. I think when I started this triathlon journey my race pace was 2:12ish per 100 yards and now it ranges from 1:45-1:50 per 100 yards. Last week we changed my stroke up and while my shoulders were getting the workout of their life my times were faster with less effort. I wasn't huffing and puffing which is one of the things I fear in the pool. I don't mind being winded on the bike or the run but on the swim I fear I will drown from lack of breath. I will say I am starting to enjoy my swim workouts and very rarely miss a swim. I smell like chlorine all the time and my skin is dry as the Sahara but I could care less.

So maybe I am not like all triathletes in that I don't hate one aspect. I will just say some are more of a struggle than others. While I might not be super fast at least I finally enjoy swimming. I might even say I am a swimmer. I can not wait till open water swims begin (well except for the swamp scratch some people can get) just for a change of pace. Hopefully a snake will not slither up next to me. If that happens then it's "peace out" and back to the pool I go.


No comments:

Post a Comment