Friday, April 17, 2015

The Wheels Keep Rolling

I haven't really shared how training is going for Beach to Battleship 70.3 aka B2B. I guess I need to get better about that since this is a blog about my traithlon journey.

Flat Ron joined us for the big wetsuit swim. No longer a wetsuit virgin!

The swimming is going great. I have been picking up my pace and feel pretty confident in the water. I no longer feel like a whale flopping around in the water. I did my first ever open water swim (OWS) in my wetsuit the other weekend. The real challenge is getting the damn wetsuit on but I found if you turn it inside out it goes on like a dream. When we swam out I never was panicked but I did find it hard to catch my breath. On the way back in I had no problems probably because I knew I was headed to shore. A few days later my coach took a teammate and I out to do another OWS and I felt so much better. No issues breathing! So why do I need a wetsuit for B2B? Well first off the water temp will be a bit cold making it race legal to wear one and second they make you faster and super buoyant. So yes, I need to learn to swim in a wetsuit plus OWS are so much less boring than pool swims.


Biking weather has finally arrived.
On the biking front I have been doing group rides every week with the Inside Out Sports crew. I usually head out with the A group which are usually a bunch of really strong, fast men but I keep up pretty well with them. So far I have been the only girl in their group. I wonder what they would do if I started talking about my lady bits? Anyway, those guys really push me and have gotten my pace up to about 18.1-18.2 mph on some damn big hills. That ride is actually super sucky on the hill front. Now that the weather is better I get to spend less time indoors on the bike trainer-thank you sweet baby Jesus! I would love to break up with my trainer but it comes in handy on rainy days and is good for those workouts when you need to do sprint intervals.

As for running, well that isn't happening right now. Word on the street is that I don't have to run till June. If the foot isn't better by then it is going to have to harden the heck up and just deal because I don't have time for it's nonsense. Right now I have on and off days with the foot. Some days it feels fine and others it does not.

My first triathlon of the season is May 17th. It's a super sprint and geared to the ladies. It's a fun little race and I am so excited to have an old college buddy doing it as her very first triathlon. She is going to do so fabulous and I am so excited to share that accomplishment with her. So what is a super sprint? It's the shortest distance there is and races range in distance. This one is a 225 yard swim, 9 mile bike, and a 2 mile run. Hopefully I will be done in under an hour. Last year I did really well but I was also running. This year I can't wait to see what I do because my swimming is faster, my biking is way faster, and my run, well it will be what it will be. I know I can bust out 2 miles so I am not really worried that I haven't been doing any run training.
Rambling Rose 2014 where my bike decided to throw me off at the end.
After that race who knows what I will do. I know I will have at least 1 or 2 Olympic distance triathlons and maybe another sprint distance as well. All these will help me gear up and fine tune for the big dance in Oct. I would also like to do a century ride with my sole sister (yes I know I said sole and not soul-pun intended) up in her area. She's got a full Ironman (140.6) on dock for October so she has some serious miles to put on her tires. Plus, I would like to feel what a century ride is like if I am even thinking about 140.6 next year. Guess I should discuss that with the coach.


Now for my ramblings because I did say I will have some ramblings. Next week we are getting a fancy chicken coop built for my ladies. They normally free range and then go into their little coop at night but after another of my girls was murdered by the neighborhood hawk I had to literally coop them up. So Monday we are having a guy come in and build us a bigger home for my ladies and their new friends. Ssshhh, don't tell Super Nerd because he doesn't know about the new additions.

The ladies-Sybil(RIP), Mary, Edith, Henrietta
I will try to get better about updating the training. Hope you lovelies have a terrific weekend! Shake n' Bake!!!

1 comment:

  1. Heheh.. you said "Shake and Bake" right under a picture of your chickens!

    ReplyDelete